On the hosting or server, add a white landing page that will be shown to bots / moderators.
Recommended domain requirements:
- The domain for the main site (for regular users) can be anything.
- The domain on which there will be a white lander for bots and spies should not have been advertised before.
- The domain must have HTTPS protocol.
- (For PHP mode) PHP must be at least version 7.0, otherwise NOTHING will work.
We also recommend making one theme for white and black landers.
Website Protection General Settings
Create Traffic Source
1. Go to the Sources section.
2. Click + New.
3. Enter the name of your source in the search field, click the Add button.
4. If your source is not listed, click Create custom template.
5. Save the traffic source by clicking the New traffic source button. More about Traffic Source.
Create Website Protection Campaign
1. Go to the Campaigns tab.
2. Click + New.
3. Campaign type
Choose Campaign Type as Website Protection.
4. Website URL
Paste in the field the address of the site for which you are configuring protection.
5. Campaign name
Give a name to your campaign in this field. You can also choose a text colour for the campaign name you entered.
Select a country from the drop-down menu. The country you select will be shown in your campaign name.
Choose a group for the campaign. It’s convenient to group campaigns by verticals, countries, type of traffic. To create a new group, go to Settings - Groups.
8. Traffic Source
Select the traffic source from the drop-down menu that you have previously created in the Sources tab.
9. Cost type and Number of cost
Specify the cost model you use to buy traffic in the Cost type section. CPC - cost per click. CPM - cost per mille (thousand clicks). CPA - cost per action. The cost of a click will be assigned after conversion. RevShare - the cost model which is calculated as a percentage of a conversion revenue. Choose the Auto option if the cost can be passed from the traffic source automatically.
Set the cost value and currency in the Number of cost section.
10. Traffic loss, %
While working with a traffic source, a certain percentage of traffic can be lost on the way to the tracker. It may vary significantly depending on the country. With PeerClick you can set the traffic loss percentage for each campaign.
Use the following formula to calculate traffic loss: new cpc = cpc / ( 1 - ( losses / 100 ) )
Select a multi-user to give access to your campaign if needed.
You can add tags to the campaign to make your search more convenient.
13. Unique period
A specified time period in seconds after which a click on your tracking link/pixel is considered unique again.
14. User session
Cookies lifetime period. After the period specified in seconds, postback pixel and click-through from the landing page to the offer stop working. Setting a cookie lifetime to 0 will disable the storage of cookies, the postback pixel or click-throughs from lander to offer will not function.
15. Disable standard bot checking
Even if you have not checked any metrics for bots in the field below, PeerClick does an internal check for the bot. Disable this check if you need a well-defined custom blacklist.
16. Metrics to flag your traffic
Check the necessary filters for traffic marking. More on filters below.
17. Additional settings for black list
Configure additional rules that define traffic as bot traffic.
The most important thing in configuring Website Protection is to determine which traffic is considered bot traffic. The more precisely you define your target audience, the more detailed the rules that make up your custom blacklist, the more secure your website will be and the longer it will last. For example, if your traffic goes to the United States, add a rule that determines visits from all others countries as bots.
18. 301 redirect for user
Depending on where the bot should direct, select the mark:
- Without: intended to replace content. The user and the bot will be shown the same page, but different parts of it. The white page section will show the bot, the user will see the section with the content. Sections can be any number.
Available only for Website Protection PHP mode.
- To rule: redirecting traffic to distribution rules.
- To URL: redirecting traffic to the specified URL.
19. Click the Create / Create and close button.
Website Protection Mode
After creating a campaign, go to editing it in the Website Protection section.
Choose your installation option:
- PHP script: less likely to break through, but more difficult to configure. For advanced users who know how to work with code. PHP mode setup.
Launch Advertising Campaign
- Submit your white lander to a previously unadvertised domain.
- Pause your website protection campaign.
- Then customize your ad by specifying a white lander. Wait for moderation.
- After successfully passing the moderation, unpause the website protection campaign.
To pause a campaign, click the green icon to the left of the campaign name. The icon will change color to red. To unpause a campaign, click on the red icon so it turns green again.
Metrics to Flag Traffic
Facebook, Google, Yandex - Databases of bots and moderators of the most popular traffic sources.
Library robots, Bots and spies - Other traffic sources (VK, Mail Target, etc.). Library robots - list of bots by user agent, Bots and spies - list of bots by IP.
IPv6 Traffic - Traffic using Internet Protocol Version 6. This technology is poorly distributed in the CIS, but widespread in India.
VPN - Traffic using an encrypted VPN connection.
Proxy - Traffic using a proxy connection.
Data centers - Data storage and processing centers.
Without referer - Traffic received without data about the URL of the request source. Most likely it indicates a click not on the ad, but on the link directly.
Unrecognized device - Traffic recieved without data about the user device.
Without useragent - Traffic with an unrecognized user agent.
Unsupported OS version - Unrecognized versions of operating systems.
Based on tests of various filters for your traffic, identify the most productive configuration for you.
Using all filters will most reliably protect your traffic, but it can reduce the amount of traffic. For example, some sites deliberately overwrite the referer, or employees of large companies can use work PCs, and their IP addresses will refer to data centers that you disabled by applying the data center filter.